Welcome to Kirkwood, Missouri! Nestled just outside of St. Louis, this charming suburb offers the perfect mix of small town living and big city convenience. From its historic downtown to its picturesque parks, Kirkwood is a community that truly has something for everyone. Whether you’re a long-time resident or just visiting for the first time, we invite you to explore all that this special place has to offer. So come on in, take a look around, and discover why Kirkwood is truly one of the gems of the St. Louis area.
A Rich History: Tracing the Roots of Kirkwood, Missouri
Kirkwood, Missouri has a rich history dating back to the mid-19th century. The city was founded in 1853 by James Pugh Kirkwood, a civil engineer who worked on the Pacific Railroad. The railroad was instrumental in the development and growth of Kirkwood, as it brought people and industry to the area.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, Kirkwood experienced a period of rapid growth and expansion. The downtown area was built up with a variety of shops, businesses, and homes, and the city became a popular destination for people looking to escape the hustle and bustle of St. Louis. Many of the buildings from this time period still stand today, giving Kirkwood a unique and charming character.
Throughout the 20th century, Kirkwood continued to grow and evolve. The city was known for its strong sense of community and its commitment to preserving its historic downtown. In the mid-20th century, Kirkwood became a popular suburb for people looking for a more suburban lifestyle while still being close to the city. The city has maintained its small-town charm and historic character while becoming more diverse and progressive in recent years.
Today, Kirkwood is a thriving community with a rich history and a bright future. Visitors and residents alike can enjoy all that the city has to offer, from its charming downtown and historic buildings to its green spaces and community events.
Where is Kirkwood Located?
Kirkwood, Missouri is located in St. Louis County, just outside of the city of St. Louis. It is situated about 14 miles west of downtown St. Louis and is easily accessible via major highways such as I-44 and I-270. The city is also served by the Metrolink light rail system, which provides a convenient and affordable way to travel to and from the city.
In addition to its proximity to St. Louis, Kirkwood is also located near several other popular destinations in the region. The nearby city of Webster Groves is a historic community with a charming downtown area, and the city of Maplewood is known for its diverse selection of restaurants and shops. The city of Clayton, known for its upscale shops and restaurants is also a short drive away.
Education is a top priority in Kirkwood, Missouri, and the city is home to a number of excellent schools. The Kirkwood School District serves the city and is known for its commitment to providing students with a well-rounded education. The district operates seven elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school, Kirkwood High School, that are consistently ranked among the best in the state.
The Kirkwood High School is one of the most well-regarded schools in the area, known for its excellent academic programs and extracurricular activities. The school offers a wide range of Advanced Placement (AP) classes, as well as a variety of elective courses. Additionally, the school has a strong athletics program, with teams competing in various sports.
The district also operates two middle schools and seven elementary schools, which provide students with a solid foundation in reading, math, science, and social studies. The schools also offer a variety of specialized programs, such as music, art, and physical education.
In addition to the public schools, Kirkwood is also home to several private schools, including the Saint Louis Priory School, a Catholic school for boys, and the Saint Joseph’s Academy, a Catholic school for girls.
Top Employers in Kirkwood
The City of Kirkwood – As the largest employer in the city, the City of Kirkwood employs a wide range of people in various departments such as public works, police, and administration.
St. John’s Mercy Medical Center – A large hospital that is part of the Mercy Health network. It is one of the major employers in the city and provides jobs for a wide range of healthcare professionals.
Kirkwood School District – The district employs a large number of teachers, administrators, and support staff, making it one of the major employers in the city.
Enterprise Holdings – The parent company of Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car has a large presence in Kirkwood and employs a significant number of people in the city.
Dierbergs Markets – A local grocery store chain that operates several locations in Kirkwood. They provide jobs for a wide range of employees such as cashiers, managers and stockers.
Crime: What to Expect
Crime is an important issue in any community, and Kirkwood, Missouri is no exception. Overall, Kirkwood is considered a relatively safe city, with a lower crime rate than many other cities of similar size. However, like any community, there are areas where crime can be an issue and it’s important for residents to be aware of their surroundings and take steps to protect themselves and their property.
The Kirkwood Police Department is responsible for maintaining law and order in the city. They work to prevent crime and ensure the safety of residents through a variety of initiatives and programs, including community policing, crime prevention education, and neighborhood watch groups. The department is also equipped with advanced technology and is staffed by well-trained and dedicated officers who work hard to keep the community safe.
According to data from the FBI, the crime rate in Kirkwood is lower than the national average for both violent and property crime. However, it’s important to note that crime can vary by neighborhood and that residents should stay informed about crime trends in their specific area. It’s also a good idea to take steps to protect oneself and one’s property, such as locking doors and windows, installing security cameras, and being aware of one’s surroundings.
It’s also worth noting that crime rates can fluctuate over time, and residents should stay informed about current crime trends in their area. The Kirkwood Police Department regularly shares crime statistics and information with the community, and residents can also stay informed by signing up for neighborhood watch programs or checking local news sources.
Parks in Kirkwood
Kirkwood, Missouri is home to a variety of parks that offer residents and visitors plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation and relaxation. Some of the most popular parks in the city include:
- Kirkwood Park – This large park features a playground, tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a variety of sports fields. It is also home to the Kirkwood Community Center, which offers a variety of classes and programs for all ages.
- Greentree Park – This park features a playground, a baseball diamond, and a large open field perfect for picnics, playing frisbee or soccer.
- North Kirkwood Park – This small park offers a playground and a small pond, perfect for fishing or feeding the ducks.
- South Kirkwood Park – This park features a playground, a basketball court, and a large open field perfect for playing sports or flying kites.
- The Kirkwood Greenway Trail – A paved trail that runs along Kirkwood Road, it offers a great place for walking, running, or biking. The trail connects to many other parks and trails in the St Louis area.
All of these parks are well-maintained and provide a great place for residents to enjoy the outdoors. The city also hosts a variety of events and activities in the parks throughout the year, such as concerts, festivals and movie nights, which are a great way for the community to come together and enjoy the outdoors.
Noteworthy Places to Visit in Kirkwood, Missouri
Kirkwood, Missouri is home to a variety of noteworthy places that offer residents and visitors a glimpse into the city’s history and culture. Some of the most notable places in the city include:
- The Magic House – St. Louis Children’s Museum – This popular children’s museum is a major attraction in the city and offers hands-on exhibits and educational programs for children of all ages.
- The Kirkwood Train Station – This historic train station was built in 1855 and is now a museum and event space showcasing the city’s railway history.
- The Kirkwood Public Library – This beautiful building, built in 1907, is a hub for community activity and offers a variety of resources and programs for the community.
- The Kirkwood Community Arts Center – The center offers art classes and exhibitions for all ages, making it a great place to explore the arts and culture of the city.
- The Historic Kirkwood Business District – The downtown area is known for its charming and historic architecture, and it’s a great place to walk around, window shop, and explore the local shops and restaurants.
- The Kirkwood Farmers’ Market – A weekly farmers market that runs from May to October, it features locally grown produce, specialty foods, and handmade crafts.
- The Kirkwood Aquatic Center – A great spot to cool off in the summer, it features a pool, slides and diving boards.
- The Kirkwood Ice Rink – A popular spot in the winter season, it offers ice skating and hockey rink.
Situated in the southwest portion of St. Louis County, this city boasts quality schools, safe neighborhoods, high property values, and excellent city services. Kirkwood is best known for being one of the best St. Louis neighborhoods to live and raise a family.
Yes! Kirkwood is safe and considered an excellent city to raise a family. With low crime rates and nice communities, there’s no wonder Kirkwood is such a great place to live.
In general, Kirkwood is considered a wealthy area. When you factor in that the area’s average home sale price is around $420,000 and nearly 75% of residents own their homes, it’s safe to say that Kirkwood is a wealthier city.